The Best Packaged Late Night Organic Snacks For Midnight Cravings
After a satisfying meal, brushing your teeth and getting into cozy pajamas, you’re finally ready for bed. As you get under the covers, a feeling of hunger starts to sneak in. When it comes to late night cravings, we all have been there! Although we don’t recommend eating a heavy meal late at night, we also don’t recommend going to bed hungry. Keep reading to see our go to favorite packaged late night organic snacks that will curb your craving without feeling bloated the whole night.
Why am I getting late night cravings?
Before we jump into the list of snacks, it is important to understand why you are getting these midnight cravings in the first place!
Based on studies, one of the most common reasons why people get cravings is due to weight gain and poor sleep. For others, the reason is as simple as boredom- crazy right? However according to Dr. Kelly C Allison, "nighttime eating has also been linked to some eating disorders, including binge eating disorder and night eating syndrome. In both, people use food to curb emotions such as sadness, anger or frustration, and they often eat even when they are not hungry” (healthline.com). If you notice your cravings are getting worse or becoming repetitive, make sure to consult your doctor or dietitian.
Now that we know about the different reasons behind late night hunger, let's jump into snacks that can help satisfy those cravings!
Ideas for packaged late night organic snacks
If you're craving a savory, but nutritious midnight snack try:
- Guacamole has been a snack favorite for a while, but did you know that avocados have great gut-health benefits? Avocados are heart-healthy, and have naturally occurring digestive enzymes that ease digestion. The Wholly Guacamole Minis are individually packaged which make them a perfect 1 serving organic snack to pair with veggies.
- Low and behold the best substitute for anytime you’re craving salty or crunchy chips. Organic Harvest Snaps Green Pea Snack Crisps are made mostly from peas which are high in fiber and antioxidants. Snacks high in fiber help move food through your gut for easier digestion which can come in handy with a late night meal. This ready to go midnight snack is also great for those on a keto diet.
- If you are a bored snacker, these pre-packaged pistachios from Wonderful Pistachios are for you! Pistachios are packed with protein and thiamin which helps the body convert carbohydrates into usable energy. If possible, grab a bag of shelled pistachios to help control how many you eat late at night.
- Popcorn has always been a midnight classic especially when it comes to movie nights. With the Lesser Evil Organic Popcorn, you can enjoy this NON GMO salty snack without feeling the effects of usual greasy popcorn. The best part is Lesser Evil Popcorn is made from organic coconut oil and ingredients you can actually understand!
- This is a great snack before bed for the whole family! Thrive Market Organic Veggie Sticks are made solely from vegetables, yet they taste far from it! Packed with protein and zero trans fat, these stalks are great to satisfy your taste buds while keeping you full through the night.
If you're craving a sweet late night snack try:
- Are you craving some decadent brownies but are too lazy to bake them in the middle of the night? That’s where dalci comes to the rescue with their gut-healthy brownies and blondies. Dalci contains organic ingredients such as almond flour, almond butter, avocado oil, and coconut sugar which helps with digestion (much needed when having snacks before bed).
- One of the easiest ways to satisfy your sweet craving is a classic—chocolate milk! The Pacific Foods Organic Almond Chocolate Milk is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D, and Vitamin E. Their individual cartons make it a great late night organic snack for kids as well! One glass will keep you full without feeling bloated in comparison to dairy chocolate milk.
- If your go to late night snack is candy then Taza Chocolate is about to be your new favorite! Their organic chocolate is made from almond milk which makes it much better for digestion at night. When your sweet cravings kick in, try savoring a few pieces of their chocolate (resist the temptation to eat it all)!
- If you are a fan of dried fruit, this is the midnight snack for you! Packed with fiber, these Bare Baked Crunchy Apple Chips will remind you of apple pie! This before bed snack is also vegan and gluten free with no added sugar or preservatives.
- It can be really tempting to reach for a sugary processed candy when the midnight cravings hit. With Barnana Chocolate Banana Bites you can give into those cravings while giving your body the nutrients it needs. Made with dark chocolate and organic bananas this snack is packed with antioxidants and will help moderate your blood sugar.
Although snacking late at night may leave us feeling guilty, it is important to listen to your body’s cravings. According to Madeline McDonough MS, RDN. "The key [for late-night snacking] is opting for nutrient-dense snacks that support an overall balanced dietary pattern" (eatthis.com).
Now that you have a go to list for organic pre-packaged late night snacks, you can indulge without feeling weighted down or guilty as you head off to get some beauty sleep.